Smart meters eliminate the need for estimated billing. They provide you with an accurate, digital reading that uses a secure smart data network to automatically share your energy usage with your provider each month. That way, you know that you’re paying for what you’re using – and no more. Smart meters are also equipped with a handy display screen that shows you the exact amount of energy you’re using in near real time, with the accurate costings, so you can monitor your usage throughout the month. But do all energy companies use smart meters and do you have to have one?
By 2025, all energy companies in England, Scotland and Wales are required to have offered their customers a smart meter for their gas and electric. This is all part of a significant update the government has made to Britain’s energy infrastructure.
Everyone is entitled to a smart meter, but you don’t have to accept one if you don’t want it. However, if you refuse one, it may be harder to access all tariffs.
Alternatively, if you’re looking to be more efficient and eco-friendly, find out more about green business energy.
So, are smart meters worth it? And why are energy companies pushing smart meters for businesses? If you’re wondering whether to set one up in your office, here are a few of the benefits of smart meters for businesses:
- They provide more accurate business electricity and gas bills as they take regular and more accurate readings – meaning you won’t be overcharged or be in credit with your supplier.
- They offer an insight into your energy use behaviour and improve your awareness of energy consumption, giving you the opportunity to reduce your usage throughout off-peak times.
- Your energy usage and costings are displayed on a real-time monitor that is supplied to you by your provider – when you understand your usage, it’s easier to start saving money.
- If you notice any sudden spikes or any unusual activity on the display screen, these may be associated with a defective appliance. By identifying this faulty equipment in a prompt manner, you can ensure that the situation is dealt with efficiently and safely.
- As these smart devices submit your meter readings automatically, you no longer need to remember to submit them yourself – taking away the admin and the extra faff!
- Businesses and suppliers are moving towards a smart future, so smart meters are becoming much more popular – meaning providers are beginning to favour them which opens up a wider range of tariffs if you have one. They’re often much cheaper, too.
If you are energy conscious or looking to save money, then it is definitely worth installing a smart meter. Whether your business runs from home or an office, you can use the meter to monitor your usage and your power consumption, meaning you can adjust how you work accordingly to cut costs and do your bit for the environment.
However, the best way to save money when it comes to your utility bills is using a utility broker to compare the best energy prices for you. Utility Bidder have built up strong relationships with more than 27 UK utility providers over the last 10 years – meaning we have a wide portfolio that we can use to find you the best priced tariff for your business. We help businesses of all sizes and backgrounds navigate the complex energy market. Get in touch and find out how much we can save you on your business energy bills today.