Smart meters are the most readily accessible alternative to energy monitors. However, if your business operates with high electricity demand and employs a 00-profile class meter or a half-hourly meter, you have the option to acquire energy management software.
This software allows you to delve into information at a much deeper level, revealing usage, supply patterns and costs in finer detail.
It’s worth noting that this software is exclusively compatible with specific types of smart meter installations: commercial energy meters. To put it into perspective, only approximately 120,000 businesses in the UK utilize 00 meters.
Additionally, these software systems can be somewhat complex to operate, often requiring advanced training for employees to maximize their utility.
On the positive side, once you and your team become proficient with the technology, you should have the capacity to track consumption trends over specific time intervals and even conduct in-depth analyses of the performance of individual appliances and machinery.
Monitoring your business’s energy consumption offers the advantage of identifying areas where you can implement changes to reduce usage, and energy bills and generate cost savings. Here’s a brief overview of strategies to help you achieve energy efficiency and financial benefits:
- Install Timers: Implement timer systems to control when and how long electrical equipment operates, reducing unnecessary energy consumption during non-operational hours.
- Energy Audits: Conduct an energy audit to assess your energy consumption patterns and identify opportunities for optimization. These audits provide valuable insights into potential efficiency improvements.
- Renewable Energy: Transition to renewable energy sources, such as solar or wind power, to decrease your reliance on conventional fossil fuels and reduce your carbon footprint.
- Hot Water Conservation: Implement measures to reduce hot water consumption, such as using low-flow fixtures and ensuring proper insulation of water heaters.
- Heat Pumps: Utilize commercial heat pumps for heating and cooling needs, as they are more energy-efficient compared to traditional HVAC systems.
- LED Lighting: Replace traditional lighting with energy-efficient LED lightbulbs, which consume less electricity and have a longer lifespan.
- Employee Education: Educate your staff on energy-saving practices, encouraging them to take responsibility for energy conservation in the workplace.
- Compare Business Energy Prices: Periodically compare business energy prices to ensure you are getting the best deal from energy suppliers.
- Compare Business Gas Prices: Similarly, evaluate and compare business gas prices to identify cost-saving opportunities in your gas consumption.
- Compare Business Electricity Prices: Regularly assess and compare business electricity prices to optimize your electricity expenses.
For more comprehensive guidance on reducing your business’s energy consumption, consult our complete guide.
Additionally, if you’re contemplating whether to fix your business energy prices in 2024, refer to our guide to find out everything you need to know.
Get in touch with our energy experts to find out more about business energy monitors and start your business energy comparison today.