Energy Prices for Charities
Get the best energy prices for your charity
Energy for Charities
To keep your charity running efficiently, it is important that energy outgoings are analysed to see where savings can be made, but where do you start?
Energy can be a substantial outgoing for businesses and with the cost of both gas and electricity on the rise, it is important now more than ever to thoroughly investigate how to reduce energy expenditure.
Every penny counts for charities, which is why it’s so important to make as many savings as possible. Charities pay VAT on all standard-rated goods and services they buy from VAT-registered businesses. They pay VAT at a reduced rate (5%) or the ‘zero rate’ on some goods and services
What qualifies for VAT relief?
Your charity pays 5% VAT on fuel and power if they’re for:
• Residential accommodation (A children’s home or care home for the elderly)
• Charitable non-business activities (A free day care for the disabled)
• Small-scale use (up to 1,000 kilowatt hours of electricity a month or a delivery of 2,300 litres of gas oil)
• If less than 60% of the fuel and power is for something that qualifies, you’ll pay the reduced rate of VAT on the qualifying part and the standard rate (20%) on the rest.
Qualifying fuel and power includes gases, electricity, oils and solid fuels (e.g. coal). It does not include vehicle fuel.
VAT-free goods from outside the EU
Charities don’t pay VAT on goods imported from outside the EU as long as they’re benefiting people in need by providing:
• Basic necessities
• Goods to be used or sold at charity events
• Equipment and office materials to help run your organisation for the benefit of needy people
• Goods to help deal with disasters within the EU
Information courtesy of – www.gov.uk VAT for Charities. Available: https://www.gov.uk/vatcharities/what-qualifies-for-relief.
If you have any quesitons about tax relief, request a call back on our home page and we’ll contact you to discuss your requirements – 0800 007 401
We are proud partners of Teenage Cancer Trust and we will be taking part in lots of fundraisers and events over the next year to raise money for a fantastic cause. We will keep you updated with all the activities Utility Bidder will be partaking in to support Teenage Cancer Trust.
Visit our dedicated page www.utilitybidder.co.uk/charity-partners/